Thursday, November 17, 2011

New old kid on the block

Once upon a time, when cartooning was young, and no doubt so was I, it was seen as the done thing for a novice cartoonist to study the greats then develop his or her own style; having influences in your work wasn't seen as a bad thing so long as you ended up with your own style eventually.

Now its not an easy task is this style creation game. Just think about it, there are quite literally thousands of cartoonists out there, all striving to get the look that will not only make them individual, but have them noticed by the great and the good in the commissioning field. So when you finally do arrive at that moment of  cartoon Nirvana, you feel justifiably pleased with yourself.

But that, it would appear, was yesterday. Today its all about diversity---being able to create on demand and move with the times. Well that's not for me; I'm old school which means I stick to what I do and what my customers like and I hone that style like a craftsman would lovingly carve his sculpture.

But recently I had an idea, a bit of a transformation for me. I actually (and quite inadvertently) went against my own curmudgeonly old stance and created a new style. I know, but before you all go rushing off for your commissioning pads and chequebooks, I'd like to celebrate this momentous occasion (well momentous for me) with you. So I drew a whole comics page. 

So for those of you out there who like diversity in their cartoonist, I'd like to announce that I just got diversified.

Take a peek and enjoy. If you like it, let me know and if you don't, well there's nothing wrong with a good bit of old fashioned silence

Cheers





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment

Most Popular Posts