Friday, April 8, 2016

New Comic Strip Submission Part II

Well here we are already, week two completed and another six strips pencilled, inked and lettered.

This week I thought I'd concentrate more on one of the semi regular characters in Tales from Toonsville a poor hard done by old lady called Granny Apple.

As I mentioned in last weeks post this strip is not about one particular set of characters, although there are one or two that will make more regular appearances.  One of these is Granny Apple; and this week I decided to concentrate more on her.

Her character description is of someone who never thought retirement would ever be quite like this.
Just as she's settling down to what should be her golden years of rest and relaxation, she finds herself the centre of attention to her overly inquisitive grandchildren, the epicentre of the advances of an over enthusiastic and amorous octogenarian called Mr Wimpole; at constant war with technology---notably the email--- and is the owner of a 400lb lapdog called Winston, who slobbers, crashes and generally drags her all over the place.

So with all these possibilities I just had to have her in the strip. Below are three of her appearances plus a general strip about Apaches. Just because I can.

Enjoy and please come back next Friday for week three of six and even more slightly eccentric Tales from Toonsville.


This gag came from me doodling away in my sketchbook. This kind of joke allows you, the reader, to make up your own mind about what has just happened, or been happening all the time she was alone with her grandson. So all I have to do is draw the picture and let you create to funnies...ahhh, my work here is done.


Granny Apple, like a lot of older, old people, has terrible trouble with technology. My own Dad once admitted that the reason why he never sent an email was that he was terrified that someone would reply. I kid you not. When I finally did get him to pluck up the courage and send one, he clicked send and ran out of the house then hid in the car. So I guess this type of gag is inspired by my old Dad and plenty more like him.

I am a granddad. This cartoon speaks to me on levels I cannot begin to describe. 'Nuff Said.


And a little alternative. I have always been fascinated by Red Indians sending smoke signals. Are there commas, question marks? Do they have verbs and do they employ synonyms, antonyms and syntax? So I guess if there's a group where Red Indians learn to be Red Indians, then I guess there must be an Apache 101 on smoke signalling.

I sincerely hope you enjoyed this post. If you did then please share it like a demented sharing person and keep on coming back for more of the same, and a whole lot besides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment

Most Popular Posts